Sunday, March 19, 2017

Random birds from last week

A few good birds this week. Casey and I made a last second drive to see a Great Gray Owl in middle New Hampshire. The bird mainly napped while we enjoyed its beauty, then we went on our way.


This was also may last week at Camp Nihan before returning to Revere. It was a great place to spend a season. Great people and great wildlife. I must say I am going to miss my friend Bernard the Barred Owl quite at bit. This little male Barred Owl brought me endless joy seeing each day as I was out working. I got an in depth look at the daily life of a Barred Owl. I think on some level he also enjoyed my company after a while, making soft vocalizations at me a few times when I would talk with him. Hey, even owls need pals. Here is Bernard saying goodbye on my last day...


                                                    White-breasted Nuthatch ( Nihan)
                                                           Red-bellied Woodpecker
                                                  Red-winged Blackbird
 AMerican Woodcocks had a rough start this year returning to frozen streams and snow. These shorebirds that breed in our woodlands need invertebrates to survive and many likely starved with frozen ground. This guy was lucky after a few days of snow found a open stream bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment